Conservation at Crystal Divers
As part of the Ocean Gardener and Bali Sunfish course package you will help out at the Ocean Gardener farm in Candidasa after you have completed your Ocean Gardener certification. Also, you will carry out a transect dive in Sanur to assess coral cover. This transect dive is an on- going project to monitor our reef restoration area and hopefully see an improvement over time of species diversity, abundance and health.
Becoming an Ocean Gardener Coral Diver with Crystal Divers will not only change your perception of corals but all your dives will have an entirely new element to them, giving you a whole new diving experience. Your Ocean Gardener Coral Diver certification qualifies you to visit any other Ocean Gardener coral farm and help them out on their farm activities.
Ocean Sunfish Research is a project that has arisen from the PhD research of Dr. Marianne Nyegaard. Marianne’s research area spanned New Zealand, Australia and Indonesia and she spent 3 consecutive seasons in Bali (2013-2015) as part of her field work to study the incredible phenomenon found here – the annual aggregation of Ocean Sunfish on the relatively shallow reefs around the island.
In taking this course you will be contributing directly to Ocean Sunfish Research’s ongoing data sets to develop a deeper understanding of the unique phenomenon that happens here in Bali, an understanding that ultimately highlights the importance of sustainable tourism practices and the significance of individual choices.
To qualify to enter the Divemaster course you must
• Be 18 years old at the start of Divemaster training
• Have logged 20 dives
• Have completed EFR Primary and Secondary Care training within the last 24 months
• Be medically evaluated and cleared for diving by a physician within the last 12 months
• Be certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver and PADI Rescue Diver or have equivalent rating through another organization.
Note: Proof of 60 dives is a certification requirement for Divemaster certification, which is all included in
the Divemaster course package
PADI Materials (Crewpack) is included in all our Divemaster Internships
• PADI Instructor Manual
• Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
• Divemaster Slates
• Divemaster Manual
• eRDP ml
• Scuba Tune-Up Workbook
• Professional Training Log
• Discover Scuba Diving Instructor Cue Cards
• PADI PRO Bag
• Develop demonstration quality skills, performing the 24 basic scuba skills. We focus on neutrally buoyant skills at this level of training and teach you multiple ways to assist students.
• Dive site set up and management
• Mapping project
• Dive briefing
• Search and Recovery scenario (Not a certification. Do the Specialty instead and get a good deal!)
• Deep Dive scenario (Not a certification. Do the Specialty instead and get a good deal!)
• Open Water diver students in confined water
• Open Water diver students in open water
• Continuing education student divers in open water
• Certified divers in open water
Divemaster-Conducted Programs Workshops
• Scuba Review/Reactivate in confined water
• Skin diver course and snorkeling supervision
• Discover Scuba Diving in confined water
• Discover Scuba Diving program – additional open water dive
• Discover Local Diving in open water
The knowledge development consists of 9 topics and 2 final exams, they are done by self study and classroom
presentations from our instructors to give you local knowledge and hands on experience.
• The role and characteristics of a PADI Divemaster
• Supervising general diving activities for certified divers
• Assisting with student divers in training
• Diver safety and risk management
• Divemaster conducted programs
• Specialized skills and activities
• The business of diving and your career
• Awareness of the dive environment
• 5 dive theory review
• Complete an Emergency Assistance Plan (you can use the one from your rescue course)
• 400 meters swim
• 15 minutes treading water
• 800 meters snorkel swim
• 100 meters inert diver tow
• Equipment Exchange
Diver Rescue – Respond to an unresponsive, nonbreathing diver.
Why Certain Specialities
As a Divemaster it is important to be able to cater to many different types of divers so that you do not lose out on customers due to your certification limits. We offer a wide range of specialties at Crystal Divers, which will help you in your diving career as a PADI professional. Thats why we include PADI Oxygen Provider in all our Divemaster Internships. Other specialties that you may find useful as a PADI Divermaster include:
• Deep Diver, so that you are able to guide divers with deep certification up to 40 meters
• Search & Recovery Diver. Your customer loses something? You would be the hero of the day if you could easily find it for them
• Nitrox Diver, so that you can guide divers who want to dive on nitrox (to extend no deco times)
• Wreck Diver, so that you are able to guide wreck divers into wrecks
Other specialties that are extremely valuable for you as a Divemaster are:
• Oxygen Provider, if there is an emergency, you are legally allowed to provide 100% O2
• Tec diver, guide customers that want to do TEC fun dives
Food and Accomondation
During our GoPRO programs, we will make sure that you are well taken care of. With all our Divemaster Internships we include 6 weeks accommodation at a local homestay. Accommodation is single occupancy room with aircon and private bathroom.
You will receive 30 lunch tickets upon arrival which you can use during your training. If you wish to stay longer you can either pay the lunches each day you dive, or you can buy 30 new tickets for a very beneficial price.
PADI Divemaster fees are included in all our Divemaster Internships.
What you can Teach
After becoming certified as a PADI Divemaster you will be authorized to
• Supervise both training and nontraining related activities by planning, organizing & directing dives
• Assist a PADI Instructor during the training sessions for any PADI Diver course
• Conduct the PADI Skin Diver course and PADI Discover Snorkeling program
• Conduct the PADI Discover Local Diving experience
• Conduct the PADI Scuba Review program
• If qualified as a Discover Scuba Diving Leader, independently conduct the PADI Discover Scuba Diving program.
• Earn the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer Specialty Instructor rating to be able to teach the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer specialty.
• Independently guide Open Water Diver course students on the tour portion of Open Water Diver course Training Dives 2, 3 and 4 at a ratio of two student divers per certified divemaster.
• Accompany Open Water Diver students under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor during:
• surface swims to and from the entry/exit point and during navigational exercises: and when the instructor conducts a skill, such as an ascent or descent, a Divemaster can remain with other student divers (with an individual student or buddy team)
• Accompany student divers during Adventure Dives or Specialty training dives under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor.
• Conduct the PADI Seal Team Skin Diver Specialist AquaMission
• Conduct subsequent dives under an instructor’s indirect supervision for Discover Scuba Diving participants after participants have satisfactorily completed the first dive with a PADI Instructor.
• Teach Emergency First Response courses after successfully completing an Emergency First Response Instructor course.